BBQ Steak for an Army…

The past four days have been very busy for me. My mom and I were to make a lot of food for my cousin’s wedding on Saturday.  She handled the desserts and chicken. I took care of the brisket and steak. I’ve made a lot of food before for a family gathering, but never this much of any one thing.  The brisket and steaks weighed up to 100 lbs for it all.  Needless to say, it was a challenge to do it all in a timely manner.

That’s only one of the four steak bags, packing in 13-18 lbs per bag. Because this was all bought in bulk, it needed to be trimmed. Flap steak, skirt steak, or hanger steak are all names given to the portion under the cow’s ribs, an area known as the plate.  It needs to be trimmed as bulk cuts will be very fatty.

Trimming it while very cold is easy enough since a lot of it is solid fat and peels off.  Just use a very sharp knife to do so. I prefer my chef’s knife, but a boning knife works great. In the back is a trimmed piece already done.

It soaked overnight in a cilantro-soy based sauce, almost like a teriyaki. It’s one of my favorite go-to marinades for beef or chicken.

This is all the steak set to marinate, not including the brisket. They just barely fit into large prep containers. I had them cut into pieces about 8 inches long and 3 inches wide for grilling ease. It took two grills and 2 whole sets of re-lighting of coals to finish all of it. It was cooked in a period of 3 hours the morning of the wedding, including slicing.

The four 10 lb briskets were put into the smoker using my smoked brisket recipe. This time, I used a mopping liquid as well to keep it more moist. The mopping liquid was a bit of the rub, beer, water, butter, and Worcestershire sauce. It was basted every hour for the first six hours, then every two hours for the remaining six hours and the meat was flipped over every two hours. Yup, you read right, 12 hours of smoking. It took place 6 am to 6 pm on Friday. It took all day, but was worth it because it was so very tender and juicy. I snuck a few bites in while slicing it. Slicing it took another hour or so too. I thought I’d end up with carpal tunnel after slicing all the meat.  We were rushed to slice everything because we had to leave right away to make it to the wedding. We ended up being late, but the reception was hours after so we had time to set up.

Here’s a plate of the leftovers, which we have plenty. We were told to prepare for 150, but I don’t think nearly that many showed up. From left to right is the brisket, mom’s korean chicken, and the bbq steak. It makes for a hearty breakfast for sure. Mom made an assortment of desserts as well: both coconut cream and orange creamsicle cakes in push-up pops for the appeal, brownie bites, carrot cupcakes, lemon pudding cupcakes, cherry cheesecake, and chocolate delight cupcakes, all served in bake-able paper cupcake holders. It was definitely overkill, but hey, that’s how we roll.

Cilantro-Soy Marinade

1 1/4 c water
2 c soy sauce
2 oz (4 T) sesame oil
1 lb brown sugar
2 T garlic, chopped fine (not minced)
2 T ginger, chopped fine
2 T sesame seeds
2 T sambal oelek hot sauce
1 bunch cilantro
1 T white pepper

Mix together on low heat to dissolve sugar. Leftover sauce can be stored in the fridge for later preparations and it lasts a long time.

This is my “small” recipe for normal proportions. We made three or four recipes worth.




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: